Monday, September 21, 2009

Need for Speed

Convincing a taxi driver to put the pedal to the metal and undertake the guy in front of you on an F1 track is possibly one of the more awesome moments of the trip so far. To be fair, he didn't need much convincing. The streets are set up as the track with grandstands and lights and safety barriers, but still open as streets until Thursday. It was a surprisingly exciting experience just being on it with the floodlights blazing.

The actual race is next weekend but the hype is really building now, and the cars are here already. As our hotel is plonked pretty much on top of the circuit, we're going to have a fairly up close experience with it. Not a great view, as they did eject us from our Harbour View upgrades on realising that we hadn't paid the million dollar surcharge for a view of the majority of the circuit, but a view nonetheless. Unforfortunately we failed at actually getting tickets. Oops. Oh well, I'll be bored after a couple of laps anyway - I expect the novelty to wear off long before lap 70 (or whatever).

I tried to take some photos of the my view of the track, but because going to on the balcony makes me feel like vomiting, and my camera isn't fantastic, the pictures are tad blurry. I can see Gate 3, but not the following corner. From my previous room I could pretty much see everything from just after Gate 3 almost to Gate 7. There was a minor error there, since that room costs just under ten times what I am paying for that weekend. Unsurprisingly I was moved.

Late at night, the bikers and boy racers are out tearing it up on the track. Hopefully tonight the cops will go out and crack down on it - it's bloody loud. Hmmm, must buy earplugs before Friday.

Ferrari crew are in our hotel - not sure if it is general people or pit crew, though the guy in my lift looked like pit crew both in build and his gear. Red Bull Racing also have people here, but not sure how many - looked like the backroom tech team.

As G said yesterday on an unrelated matter, Dublin is going to look very, very small when we get home.

2 comments:

  1. Have forwarded your blog to some friends who are massive GP and Ferrari fans :-)
    Sounds like life is going well out there - met up with greig yet? I think he may be away at the moment tho - was saying something about a flight on his FB today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been so busy haven't had time - must FB him tomorrow and try to set something up for next week!

    ReplyDelete